What is Mid-Century Modern design?

What is Mid Century Modern design?
What is the style that came out of Bauhaus and the Post War period, lasting until the mid 60s? That is Mid-Century Modern (MCM), a term coined in 1984 by an American collector of 50s furniture.

I've written a blog post about this incredible design period, looking at homewares (furniture) designers such as Eames and Alvar Aalto  and graphic design with artists such as Paul Rand and Saul Bass.

I also make a quick look at Atomic Style and how that is closely aligned to Mid Century Modern.

The optimism coming out of the Bauhaus, using new Post War technologies, such as plastic molding, and industrial materials such as steel, together with more organic woods and leathers allowed this movement to look forward, whilst still holding on to its past heritage.




For further ideas check out our BillingtonPix Pinterest Shop. This contains a complete feed of all our products from BillingtonPix.com as well as a collation of pins from my BillingtonPix.RedBubble.com shop, my BillingtonPix Zazzle store, my BillingtonPix TeePublic shop. my BillingtonPix Society6 shop as well as numerous cool pins I've spotted along the way!

BillingtonPix Shop

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

80s Memphis Phone Cases

Buy Urban Photography Online